Association Property Management FAQs

How do I reserve the community's recreational facility?

Submit an email request at or call (704) 971–6506.

How do I pay my Association dues?

There are two options for making your payment:

  1. Payment should be submitted in the name of the Association, to the MECA Realty office at 2459 Wilkinson Blvd, Suite 100, Charlotte, NC 28208
  2. Setting up automatic online payments can be done through your bank's online banking service and is highly recommend. The payee is the name of the Association in care of MECA Realty at 2459 Wilkinson Blvd, Suite 100, Charlotte, NC 28208. To avoid payment to the wrong account: use your property name and unit number as your account number or identifying information. (Note: Each bank operates under different standards. To avoid late fees, please make sure ample time is provided from payment delivery — just because money has been debited from your account does not mean MECA has received or cashed your payment.)

When are my monthly Association assessments due and when are they considered late?

Your monthly assessments/dues are to be submitted on the 1st of the month. They are late after the 1st of the month.

When will late fees be applied?

Late fees are applied based on the governing documents of your Association. However, late fees are typically applied after the 15th of the month.

Who do I call if I have a question about my account?

You may contact the accounting department at (704) 971–6500.

What are your office hours and days?

MECA Realty is open from 8am–5pm Monday thru Friday.

How do I get a new fob or garage opener?

This is different for each Association. For further details email request at

Who do I call if I have a maintenance issue?

As a condominium owner, personal maintenance needs within your unit are your responsibility. You may choose to select any bonded and/or insured vendor. You are also welcome to use MECA’s in house Maintenance and Construction Services Department. Because we manage the property for the condominium association, we are likely able to address your needs in a more cost effective manner. Please contact the maintenance coordinator at (704) 372–0005 ext. 511 to inquire about rates and schedule.

What is the process for moving into or out of the building?

This is different for each Association. For further details, email a request to

How do I get a copy of the governing documents?

Governing documents can be downloaded from this website under Association Property Management/client login/Community Documents and News. Email a request to to request the password for your community.

How do I provide a copy of the master insurance policy for the Association to my lender?

Email a request to to obtain the Insurance contact information for your Association.

Is there a transfer fee?

MECA charges a $75 transfer fee inclusive of time completing lender questionnaire's and other closing requests as well as facilitating new account set up in our systems

Residential Property Management FAQs

What is the rental collection procedure?

Rental payments are due on the 1st of each month and are late on the 6th. A late fee of 5% of the rental amount is charged. Rental payments that are not received before the 15th are delinquent and court papers are filed for that tenant. Court fees are not an additional cost to the owner, as it is a tenant responsibility. However, if the tenant does not pay such fees in a timely manner then it is deducted from the owner account (see below).

When does an owner receive his/her payment?

Owner accounts are closed out on the last business day of each month. Checks are processed either via direct deposit or by mail. We offer direct deposit services at no additional cost.

What is the process for tenant fees such as late fees and court fees?

If a tenant fails to pay a late fee or court fee then the fee is deducted from the owner's account the following month until the tenant pays and at that time the owner is reimbursed. This is reflected on your monthly statement under "court fee" or "other fees." If the tenant never pays the fee then we deduct it from their security deposit at the end of the lease term.

What is the process for prospective tenants when they want to view a property?

Generally when someone is interested in viewing a property, the individual comes to the office and fills out a key loan agreement. A valid ID and a $20 cash deposit are required. The individual has to return the key by 5:00 the following day. For properties with a building code or something similar the property will be shown by a representative from our office. If a property is occupied an appointment will be set up.

How much is the security deposit?

Security deposits are usually equal to one month's rent and in certain circumstances it can be increased to twice the rental amount. NC requires security deposits to be held in a separate escrow account.

What insurance coverage do I need?

If you have a homeowner's policy it will need to be changed to a fire policy. Please consult with your insurance agent for this. For amounts of coverage, please refer to the management agreement: Section 3, paragraph f.

What is the application process for screening prospective tenants?

For every applicant, we do a credit check, verify employment, and check past rental/mortgage history.

What is the average time to find a tenant for my property?

This depends on the current rental market and time of year, but typical we say 30-90 days.

Is smoking allowed?

No! Our lease states no smoking.

What are the lease terms?

Usually, the lease term is for one year only; however sometimes this is negotiated depending on the time of year and terms.

How often do you inspect properties?

MECA does an annual property inspection of all properties at the owner's expense. This usually occurs 60-90 days from the lease expiration date so MECA can see the current condition of the property, etc. The charge for this is approximately $50-$100 depending on the travel time and time it takes to conduct a full inspection. The inspection report is emailed to each owner and if any repair requests are noted, the owner approves this before any work is completed.

Residential Leasing FAQs

When is my rent due?

Rent is due on the 1st of each month and is late after the 5th. A 5% late fee will be assessed at that time.

How can I pay my rent?

You can pay your rent the following ways:

  • Pay online with a credit card
  • Mail it or bring it by our office
  • Bank draft (as long as it makes it to our office by the 5th of the month)

Do you allow pets?

Our pet policy is at owner discretion. The pet fee is a non-refundable fee of $250, unless negotiated differently. Pit bulls are not allowed or any mixed breeds of that type.

How do I submit a maintenance request?

All maintenance requests have to be submitted in writing except an emergency. You can submit a form online or email a request to our maintenance coordinator. If there is an after hours or weekend emergency, you can call the emergency line at 1-866-315-2004.

Do I need renter's insurance?

Renter's insurance is strongly recommended.

How much is the security deposit?

The security deposit is equal to one month's rent. In certain circumstances, this deposit can be increased to two month's rent per NC law.

How to submit a notice to vacate?

All notices must be submitted in writing with a signature. Please use the Notice to Vacate form in the Forms section.

How much notice am I required to give?

Usually, a 30 day notice is required, however you will have to refer to your lease for exact terms.

Residential Sales FAQs

Should I use a real estate broker?

Using a real estate broker is a very good idea. All the details involved in home buying, particularly the financial ones, can be mind-boggling. A good real estate professional can guide you through the entire process and make the experience much easier. A real estate broker will be well-acquainted with all the important things you'll want to know about a neighborhood you may be considering...the quality of schools, the number of children in the area, the safety of the neighborhood, traffic volume, and more. With immediate access to homes as soon as they're put on the market, the broker can save you hours of wasted driving-around time. When it's time to make an offer on a home, the broker can point out ways to structure your deal to save you money. He or she will explain the advantages and disadvantages of different types of mortgages, guide you through the paperwork, and be there to hold your hand and answer last-minute questions when you sign the final papers at closing. And you don't have to pay the broker anything! The payment comes from the home seller - not from the buyer.

What is the difference between pre-qualified vs. pre-approved

Pre-qualification is a quick process. A lender asks you for basic information (income, employment information, credit and liabilities) and tells you what price range you should be considering. Important: Pre-qualification does not mean you have been approved for a loan. If your loan is pre-qualified, when you find a house you want to buy, you'll still need to go through the loan approval process.

Pre-approval takes longer and is a more comprehensive process. But when your loan is pre-approved, you can move quickly. When you find a house you want, being pre-approved tells the seller you're serious - and it could give you an advantage in negotiation. A lender doesn't commit to a loan until you've found a specific property. Once you've found the home you want to buy and your loan is approved, the lender will make a final decision.

How do I determine how much I can afford?

Plan ahead by listing out your sources of income, savings, monthly expenses, and other cash-flow considerations. Contact a loan officer to get pre-qualified. Sellers will be more interested in your offer if they know you have been pre-approved.

How much money will I have to come up with to buy a home?

That depends on a number of factors, including the cost of the house and the type of mortgage you get. In general, you need to come up with enough money to cover three costs: earnest money - the deposit you make on the home when you submit your offer, to prove to the seller that you are serious about wanting to buy the house; the down payment, a percentage of the cost of the home that you must pay when you go to settlement; and closing costs, the costs associated with processing the paperwork to buy a house.

When you make an offer on a home, your real estate broker will put your earnest money into an escrow account. If the offer is accepted, your earnest money will be applied to the down payment or closing costs. If your offer is not accepted, your money will be returned to you. The amount of your earnest money varies. If you buy a HUD home, for example, your deposit generally will range from $500 - $2,000.

The more money you can put into your down payment, the lower your mortgage payments will be. Some types of loans require 10-20% of the purchase price. That's why many first-time homebuyers turn to HUD's FHA for help. FHA loans require only 3% down - and sometimes less.

Closing costs - which you will pay at settlement - average 3-4% of the price of your home. These costs cover various fees your lender charges and other processing expenses. When you apply for your loan, your lender will give you an estimate of the closing costs, so you won't be caught by surprise. If you buy a HUD home, HUD may pay many of your closing costs.

How do I find a lender?

You can finance a home with a loan from a bank, a savings and loan, a credit union, a private mortgage company, or various state government lenders. Shopping for a loan is like shopping for any other large purchase: you can save money if you take some time to look around for the best prices. Different lenders can offer quite different interest rates and loan fees; and as you know, a lower interest rate can make a big difference in how much home you can afford. Talk with several lenders before you decide. Most lenders need 3-6 weeks for the whole loan approval process. Your real estate broker will be familiar with lenders in the area and what they're offering. Or you can look in your local newspaper's real estate section - most papers list interest rates being offered by local lenders. You can find FHA-approved lenders in the Yellow Pages of your phone book. HUD does not make loans directly - you must use a HUD-approved lender if you're interested in an FHA loan.

Why should I list my home with a real estate agent instead of selling it myself?

An agent would be responsible for all aspects of selling your home including: advertising, following up on potential leads, accurate and timely completion of all paperwork, following the laws and disclosures required when selling real estate.

What is a listing agreement?

If you do decide to hire a real estate agent to assist you in selling your home, he or she will define the terms of your agreement in writing. This is called a listing agreement. The agreement will cover such items as: length of time the agreement covers, commission to be paid to the agent, advertising or other promotional materials the agent will provide, and sale price of the home.